Friday, May 6, 2011

Ok, so I'm obsessed

April was a month filled with my new favorite treat. CAKE POPS! It all began with Shanti's birthday (a coworker of mine) and quickly became a new favorite treat. I originally saw the idea on Bakerella.com, which is a cute blog of the author of the book Cake Pops. Thank goodness for Powel's book store, because all other book stores in the area were sold out and I couldn't wait to buy this book!

I had to try out these cute little babies first...after all, anyone who knows me KNOWS how much I love Ice Cream-so these had my name written all over them! I was so excited to try them our for Shanti's birthday. A labor of love like this was only worth making them for someone that I adore! (ha I was up till 2am on a work night making these, so I hope she liked them as much as I did!)

The process of making cake pops is pretty simple actually!



First, make a sheet cake following the normal instructions & let it cool. I used a Betty Crocker cake mix because it is simple and I heard they crumble better than homemade cakes.

Once completely cooled, grab chunks of the cooked cake in each hand, and crumble into a large mixing bowl by rubbing the two pieces of cake together. I was surprised by how easily the cake crumbled. Make sure to break apart any larger pieces.

Next, scoop 1/2 can of frosting (I used chocolate) into your bowl with the crumbled cake and mix with your hands!

The frosting acts like a glue for the cake pops-I didn't expect them to be so moist once mixed together, but if your mixture is too dry the cake balls wont hold together. It you add too much frosting then they wont hold there shape.

Roll them into ping pong sized balls and place on wax paper.

Depending on the amount of time you have, place the cake balls in the fridge for 2 hours or freezer for about 10-15 minutes. Then need to be chilled before dipping, but if they are too cold your candy melts coating will crack. I was short on time, so I placed them in the freezer till they were chilled but not frozen.

Using a serrated knife, cut about 3/4 inch off the top of your ice cream cones-this will make them the right size to hold your cake pops. Place the cones in a styrofoam sheet, making sure they are securely pressed in so they can hold the dipped cake pops.

Melt about 1/2 lb of white chocolate melts in a double boiler or fondue pot. Mix in some food coloring of your choice (pink was a no brainer!) You could melt the chocolate in the microwave, but using my fondue pot was so much easier for temperature control.



Once the candy melts were completely melted, I dropped one cake ball in at a time and completely covered it in chocolate (mixing it around with a spoon) I then placed the coated cake pop on top of the cone allowing the excess chocolate to ooze down the side of the cone making it look like melting ice cream.

I then covered with rainbow sprinkles...

Then melted dark chocolate....(I used a spoon to scoop a little melted dark chocolate from my fondue pot and drizzle it on top of the cake pop to look like melted fudge)

Then topped it off with a jaw breaker for the "cherry on top". Red chocolate covered peanut M&M's would have worked really well too, but I didn't want to purchase a whole large bag of peanut M&M's just to use the red ones. I do NOT need more chocolate around! =)

I also dusted them with a little edible glitter, just for some sparkle.



I think they turned out pretty perfect! and I was blown away by how TASTY they were!

1 comment:

  1. Still can't get over how crazy cute those were. I have to show my sisters!

    ReplyDelete